Go Back   2022-2023 StudyChaCha > StudyChaCha Discussion Forum > Study Abroad and Immigration Consultancy

Old December 27th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2011
Default Re: Postgraduate Studies in Britain

Applying for postgraduate studies in UK

Postgraduate study applications are made to the universities. ECS provides the details and helps with the application procedures, and can apply directly for you.

It is usual to apply directly to the institution or department offering the course or research 'opportunity as there is no centralised application system for postgraduate study in the UK. There are some exceptions, mainly for vocational subjects such as teaching, social work and law, for which there are clearing houses. As well as the application form, which is increasingly available from the website of individual institutions, you will be asked to approach referees. And, if you are applying for a research degree, provide a research proposal.

It is also wise to include a letter and/or personal statement to support your application. You may be invited to an interview locally, which will give you an opportunity to talk about your experience and your plans for postgraduate study. Then, once you have been accepted on to a course, you're well on your way to studying in UK.

Whatever your study plans or whatever questions you may have studying at Postgraduate level in the UK -the British Council can help. For further information visit them at Education UK | Home.

Admission requirements

For postgraduate courses the usual requirement is an equivalent to a British first degree in a relevant subject. Appropriate professional experience can be a decided bonus. If you are to do an MBA, you need one to three years of work experience, which has to be obtained after a Bachelor's degree. Some institutions may also ask for a Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) and International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) score. The UK does not have a national postgraduate entrance examination. Consequently there are no national university entrance guidelines. Neither is there an agreed system for expressing overseas qualifications in terms of their British equivalents, though some information about the comparability in Britain of overseas academic qualifications may be obtained from 'International guide to qualifications in education.' Instead, each institution makes its own decisions on whom to admit to each particular postgraduate course. You should write direct to the institution for more details and to obtain application forms. Make sure you have enough time to get all the information you need, probably one year in advance (may be 18 months if you are planning to apply for scholarships). There is no official closing date. For research courses institutions will look for an outstanding academic record. Students will have to submit a research proposal and have a good Master's degree. Ph.D students are usually registered for an M. Phil in the first instance.
Admission: The admission procedure is tried and tested. Given below are some useful tips to keep in mind:

Application forms: The Education Counseling Service of the British Council has its own specially printed application forms which are acceptable to the majority of UK institutions. You may use these forms and make sure that your contact details are clearly marked to ensure a quick response.

Admission tests: For some courses. e.g. Management, overseas students must sit the Graduate Management Aptitude test (GMAT). Other courses require Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) scores. The British Council regularly administers the IELTS test.

Work experience: A number of professional and vocational courses require relevant work experience. For instance many MBAs or masters courses in information studies require at least a couple of years work experience. These courses are for mature students where the average age is 25 years and above.

Academic records: Transcripts (official certificates) that set out previous academic qualifications are crucial for your application. If the originals are not in English, copies and a good English translation must be enclosed. If your undergraduate qualification or university is unknown to the admissions tutor, the British Council would be able to advise you.

Academic references are absolutely crucial to your application and need to be arranged as early as possible.
Reply With Quote

Reply to this Question / Ask Another Question
Your Username: Click here to log in


All times are GMT +6.5. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8