Important tips for Cracking CAT 2011:
• The most common mistake candidates make is not reading the question paper carefully. Many people missed 1-2 questions because they forgot to open the last page and mistakenly considered it to be the rough page. So be very careful when reading the question paper.
• Time management is the key. Since you will have less time to attempt all the questions, first attempt that section which you are comfortable with. Then jump to next section.
• Do not spend too much time on one particular section. If you are stuck, jump to next section but return to it after completing everything.
• Go through the instructions carefully. Since the rules change every year, you don’t want to make any silly mistakes on your part.
• You would want to memorize the dictionary because you will be getting a lot of meaning questions in the verbal section.
• The negative marking scheme keeps changing every year so confirm it before exam.
• The test is of 2 hours and 30 minutes.
About CAT Exam
Common Admission Test (CAT) is an all-India test conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), considered to be the most prestigious B-schools of India. It is an entrance exam for students who want to pursue Post Graduate level Management Degree from world renowned IIM’s. It is on the basis of CAT result that the eligible candidates are short listed and called for a Group Discussion and Personal Interview. Apart from the IIM’s, a candidate can take admission in many other business schools with a CAT score. The test is multiple-choice based with roughly one-fourth negative-mark penalties for wrong answers, and traditionally comprises three sections that span the domains of arithmetical problem solving, geometry, statistics, data interpretation, logical reasoning, puzzles, and English language skills. CAT is considered to be a major requirement for a candidate seeking admission to the prestigious management institutes of India. The percentile secured in CAT is assessed by the B-Schools in India for short-listing candidates for admissions to their various MBA Programs.
Basic Pattern of CAT Exam
The examination pattern of CAT exam keeps on changing every year. However, the questions are broadly classified into three or four categories, which are given below.
• Quantitative Ability
• Verbal Ability
• Reading Comprehension
• Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
The duration of the entrance examination is also not fixed. The test paper consists of objective questions with multiple options. The number of questions could be 60 to 70. Negative marking is there for every wrong answer.
• Number Systems and Number Theory
• Pipes and Cisterns
• Profit and Loss
• Mixtures and Alligations
• Simple & Compound Interest
• Ratio, Proportion
• Speed, Time and Distance
• Permutation & Combination
• Progressions – AP, GP, HP
• Function and Set Theory
• Binomial Theorem
• Linear and Quadratic Equation
• Co ordinate Geometry
• Lines, Angles
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
• identifying valid inferences
• Assertion and reasons
• identifying Strong arguments and Weak arguments
• Statements and conclusions
• Visual reasoning
• Linear arrangements
• Critical reasoning
• identifying next number in series
• Questions comprising tables and bar graphs, column graphs, pie chart
• definitely false kind of statement
• Cause and Effect
• graphs representing area
• definitely true
• line charts
• Symbol Based problems
• Statements and assumptions
• venn diagram
• Family tree problem
• Assumption- Premise-Conclusion
• Identifying Probably true
• Matrix arrangements
• Coding and decoding
• Probably false
• Jumbled paragraphs with 4 or 5 sentences
• odd man out
• Sentence Correction
• contextual usage
• Foreign language words used in English
• Verbal reasoning
• Sentence correction
• Sentence completion
• Different usage of same word
• Jumbled paragraphs (6 sentences with first and last fixed)
• one word substitution
• Fill In the Blanks
• Famous award and prizes
• Social issues
• Questions from current affairs are also included in the exam
• Books and authors
• Major corporate events
• International organizations
• important quotations
• World Records
Group Discussion & Personal Interview (GDPI)
Students who have appeared in CAT exam and have scored the qualifying marks are then called for group discussion and personal interview as well. In order to prepare for GDPI, the students should have up-to-date knowledge on various aspects of Economics, Business and Technology.
Study Material for CAT
Well since the syllabus is so wide one book doesn’t cover up the whole course.
IMS provides its own material and mock test papers are available.
How to Read Faster and Better’ by Norman Lewis
These writers have good books for quantitative aptitude:
• R S Agarwal
• ABHIJIT GUHA
• DINESH KHATTAR
• thorpe edgar
• KRISHNAN B N R
• Family tree problem
Most important tips for crack CAT is that first of all read complete question paper carefully. If you are unable to solve any question then don’t waste time for that question and jump to next question. There is negative marking in CAT so solve the question when you are sure about its answer otherwise you will loose some marks. For better preparation you to need Practice for makes you perfect, Simulating the CAT- Strengthen your test taking skills, Build your fundamentals and get the basics right and Testing and Build competencies.
Written by StudyChaCha
- Management scopei want to know.. whats the scope of Health Care Management in Govt sector. If so ..any age limit? Prsently serving In Defence.
- Executive program from ISB Hyderabad MBAHello Friend myself Vijendra brother I want the details of MBA Executive program of ISB Hyderabad, so provide me the details?
- BA Entrance Exam FreeCan you tell me about the fee for applying for B.A. (Hons) entrance exam in Banaras Hindu University Undergraduate Entrance Test (BHU UET)?
- In Gate Score ValidityI would like to know how long the GATE scores are valid for from this year I.e. 2015, I heard the validity has been increased?
- UGC NET after MBAI am kuldeep and I had clear my MBA degree and want top give NET exam so please tell me that am I eligible for UGC net exam?
- Corporation Bank Nirman ViharI am the customer of Corporate Bank Now I am shifted in Nirmal Vihar Delhi provide me the the Address of the Branch near Nirmal Vihar?
- Xavier University SAT RequirementsI wanted to get Admission in Xavier University? Provide me details of the SAT and GPA score criteria and also provide me the details of Admission...
- IIT Kharagpur StudentsWho is the Dean of Student Affairs of IIT or Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur? Also list me the names of the Director and Deputy Director of...
- Masters Of Public Health CanadaHey buddy Husian want to know that is Alberta University is in Canada if yes can you please get some information about the Master’s of Public Heath...
- BA or BA.LLB which is betterHello Sir , After 12th I want to Do B.A. , But I have little Confusion that From Both BA Journalism or BA.LLB Course which is better , So Will you...
- sudhir said Where are correspondence courses available in ahe...
- krishna said sir am krishna chungin from guledgudd just i have...
- savita said Pls send to email fda model question paper & c...
- Khaleel Usman said I had finished my BE -ECE from Anna university che...
- Kavita Jakkaraddi said Sir/madm, Please send me old question papers for...
- Mahantesha Gaster said Dear Sir, Please Send me SDA an...
- rishabh yadav said I want make pwd civil engineer Please tell me wh...
- Ahemad ali said I have completed B.sc
- jagveer singh said which subject needed in Class11 & 12th For llb
- sneha yadav said 58090010694
- nilkanth pradhan said How much fees in ba final open learing cources?
- vijaylaxmi said I have given b.com hons third yr exam from Delhi u...
- amitha k said please send me the particuler syllabus of fda &...
- Sushil said I just completed engg diploma in ECE, now i want t...
- banu said business law chapter1to11