Important tips for Cracking CAT 2011:
• The most common mistake candidates make is not reading the question paper carefully. Many people missed 1-2 questions because they forgot to open the last page and mistakenly considered it to be the rough page. So be very careful when reading the question paper.
• Time management is the key. Since you will have less time to attempt all the questions, first attempt that section which you are comfortable with. Then jump to next section.
• Do not spend too much time on one particular section. If you are stuck, jump to next section but return to it after completing everything.
• Go through the instructions carefully. Since the rules change every year, you don’t want to make any silly mistakes on your part.
• You would want to memorize the dictionary because you will be getting a lot of meaning questions in the verbal section.
• The negative marking scheme keeps changing every year so confirm it before exam.
• The test is of 2 hours and 30 minutes.
About CAT Exam
Common Admission Test (CAT) is an all-India test conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), considered to be the most prestigious B-schools of India. It is an entrance exam for students who want to pursue Post Graduate level Management Degree from world renowned IIM’s. It is on the basis of CAT result that the eligible candidates are short listed and called for a Group Discussion and Personal Interview. Apart from the IIM’s, a candidate can take admission in many other business schools with a CAT score. The test is multiple-choice based with roughly one-fourth negative-mark penalties for wrong answers, and traditionally comprises three sections that span the domains of arithmetical problem solving, geometry, statistics, data interpretation, logical reasoning, puzzles, and English language skills. CAT is considered to be a major requirement for a candidate seeking admission to the prestigious management institutes of India. The percentile secured in CAT is assessed by the B-Schools in India for short-listing candidates for admissions to their various MBA Programs.
Basic Pattern of CAT Exam
The examination pattern of CAT exam keeps on changing every year. However, the questions are broadly classified into three or four categories, which are given below.
• Quantitative Ability
• Verbal Ability
• Reading Comprehension
• Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
The duration of the entrance examination is also not fixed. The test paper consists of objective questions with multiple options. The number of questions could be 60 to 70. Negative marking is there for every wrong answer.
• Number Systems and Number Theory
• Pipes and Cisterns
• Profit and Loss
• Mixtures and Alligations
• Simple & Compound Interest
• Ratio, Proportion
• Speed, Time and Distance
• Permutation & Combination
• Progressions – AP, GP, HP
• Function and Set Theory
• Binomial Theorem
• Linear and Quadratic Equation
• Co ordinate Geometry
• Lines, Angles
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
• identifying valid inferences
• Assertion and reasons
• identifying Strong arguments and Weak arguments
• Statements and conclusions
• Visual reasoning
• Linear arrangements
• Critical reasoning
• identifying next number in series
• Questions comprising tables and bar graphs, column graphs, pie chart
• definitely false kind of statement
• Cause and Effect
• graphs representing area
• definitely true
• line charts
• Symbol Based problems
• Statements and assumptions
• venn diagram
• Family tree problem
• Assumption- Premise-Conclusion
• Identifying Probably true
• Matrix arrangements
• Coding and decoding
• Probably false
• Jumbled paragraphs with 4 or 5 sentences
• odd man out
• Sentence Correction
• contextual usage
• Foreign language words used in English
• Verbal reasoning
• Sentence correction
• Sentence completion
• Different usage of same word
• Jumbled paragraphs (6 sentences with first and last fixed)
• one word substitution
• Fill In the Blanks
• Famous award and prizes
• Social issues
• Questions from current affairs are also included in the exam
• Books and authors
• Major corporate events
• International organizations
• important quotations
• World Records
Group Discussion & Personal Interview (GDPI)
Students who have appeared in CAT exam and have scored the qualifying marks are then called for group discussion and personal interview as well. In order to prepare for GDPI, the students should have up-to-date knowledge on various aspects of Economics, Business and Technology.
Study Material for CAT
Well since the syllabus is so wide one book doesn’t cover up the whole course.
IMS provides its own material and mock test papers are available.
How to Read Faster and Better’ by Norman Lewis
These writers have good books for quantitative aptitude:
• R S Agarwal
• ABHIJIT GUHA
• DINESH KHATTAR
• thorpe edgar
• KRISHNAN B N R
• Family tree problem
Most important tips for crack CAT is that first of all read complete question paper carefully. If you are unable to solve any question then don’t waste time for that question and jump to next question. There is negative marking in CAT so solve the question when you are sure about its answer otherwise you will loose some marks. For better preparation you to need Practice for makes you perfect, Simulating the CAT- Strengthen your test taking skills, Build your fundamentals and get the basics right and Testing and Build competencies.
Written by StudyChaCha
- MRPL JobsMRPL invites applications from... […]
- Assistant Central Intelligence Officer jobs at IB (Intelligence Bureau)*Assistant Central Intelligence Officer jobs at IB (Intelligence Bureau)* Number of Vacancies – *750 *(General- 207 OBC- 301 SC- 180 ST- 62) ... […]
- Disability Certificate FormatHi guys... I was just going through the newspaper today and found this format for disability certificate which is mostly accepted in most of the... […]
- Application format for job at Parliament of India (Joint recruitment cell)Image: http://studychacha.com/aa/application-parliament-joint-recruitment-cell-1.jpg Image:... […]
- NHFDC Scholarships for Students with Disabilities for the Academic Year 2014-15*NHFDC Scholarships for Students with Disabilities for the Academic Year 2014-15* National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation... […]
- Radiographer Jobs At Central Institute Of PsychiatryRadiographer Jobs At Central... […]
- Lecturer Jobs at All India Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation JobsLecturer Jobs at All India... […]
- Field Ammunition Depot Jobs for LDCGroup 'C1 Recruitment 1... […]
- BBNL Job for Freshers EngineersBharat Broadband Network... […]
- Sr. Finance officer job at IIFTApplication are invited for... […]
- Sudipta sarkar said Question for nersing aasistent 2aug 2012 for india...
- Anonymous said Bse mlt selict my name m.gopi koduru
- Harikrishan said I know about fill up form ba 1 hpu date shit
- phanindra gopishetty said Respected sir,i have cleared my cpt in june 2012an...
- neha sharma said mai 2012-13 me hone wale dca exam ka time table ja...
- sunita said I submit M.com Part -1 in 2011 but due to some rea...
- Nirmala.s said i need the SDA exam previous years question papers...
- AMIT said R/ sir, I m study in BCCA in nagpur uNIVERSI...
- harmeet kaur said history tha question paper
- subject name for this code CY-2161 (chennai anna university control) said firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sanjay said Dear SIr Please Send Schadual of B.COM First year...
- manju said may i know the rank list for bsc nursing with 119....
- Anonymous said what is the date of 1st semester exam for BA progr...
- Sir i am persuing in 3rd year in hm from ihm pusa new delhi i want to join indian army through jco catering because i m interested in defence n i like it too muvh pls tel me about form from where i can collect the information for form n sellection process said Sir i m persuing in 3rd in hm from ihm pusa new de...
- vipul said my cpt marks sheet is yet came so what should i do