Important tips for Cracking CAT 2011:
• The most common mistake candidates make is not reading the question paper carefully. Many people missed 1-2 questions because they forgot to open the last page and mistakenly considered it to be the rough page. So be very careful when reading the question paper.
• Time management is the key. Since you will have less time to attempt all the questions, first attempt that section which you are comfortable with. Then jump to next section.
• Do not spend too much time on one particular section. If you are stuck, jump to next section but return to it after completing everything.
• Go through the instructions carefully. Since the rules change every year, you don’t want to make any silly mistakes on your part.
• You would want to memorize the dictionary because you will be getting a lot of meaning questions in the verbal section.
• The negative marking scheme keeps changing every year so confirm it before exam.
• The test is of 2 hours and 30 minutes.
About CAT Exam
Common Admission Test (CAT) is an all-India test conducted by the Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), considered to be the most prestigious B-schools of India. It is an entrance exam for students who want to pursue Post Graduate level Management Degree from world renowned IIM’s. It is on the basis of CAT result that the eligible candidates are short listed and called for a Group Discussion and Personal Interview. Apart from the IIM’s, a candidate can take admission in many other business schools with a CAT score. The test is multiple-choice based with roughly one-fourth negative-mark penalties for wrong answers, and traditionally comprises three sections that span the domains of arithmetical problem solving, geometry, statistics, data interpretation, logical reasoning, puzzles, and English language skills. CAT is considered to be a major requirement for a candidate seeking admission to the prestigious management institutes of India. The percentile secured in CAT is assessed by the B-Schools in India for short-listing candidates for admissions to their various MBA Programs.
Basic Pattern of CAT Exam
The examination pattern of CAT exam keeps on changing every year. However, the questions are broadly classified into three or four categories, which are given below.
• Quantitative Ability
• Verbal Ability
• Reading Comprehension
• Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
The duration of the entrance examination is also not fixed. The test paper consists of objective questions with multiple options. The number of questions could be 60 to 70. Negative marking is there for every wrong answer.
• Number Systems and Number Theory
• Pipes and Cisterns
• Profit and Loss
• Mixtures and Alligations
• Simple & Compound Interest
• Ratio, Proportion
• Speed, Time and Distance
• Permutation & Combination
• Progressions – AP, GP, HP
• Function and Set Theory
• Binomial Theorem
• Linear and Quadratic Equation
• Co ordinate Geometry
• Lines, Angles
Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
• identifying valid inferences
• Assertion and reasons
• identifying Strong arguments and Weak arguments
• Statements and conclusions
• Visual reasoning
• Linear arrangements
• Critical reasoning
• identifying next number in series
• Questions comprising tables and bar graphs, column graphs, pie chart
• definitely false kind of statement
• Cause and Effect
• graphs representing area
• definitely true
• line charts
• Symbol Based problems
• Statements and assumptions
• venn diagram
• Family tree problem
• Assumption- Premise-Conclusion
• Identifying Probably true
• Matrix arrangements
• Coding and decoding
• Probably false
• Jumbled paragraphs with 4 or 5 sentences
• odd man out
• Sentence Correction
• contextual usage
• Foreign language words used in English
• Verbal reasoning
• Sentence correction
• Sentence completion
• Different usage of same word
• Jumbled paragraphs (6 sentences with first and last fixed)
• one word substitution
• Fill In the Blanks
• Famous award and prizes
• Social issues
• Questions from current affairs are also included in the exam
• Books and authors
• Major corporate events
• International organizations
• important quotations
• World Records
Group Discussion & Personal Interview (GDPI)
Students who have appeared in CAT exam and have scored the qualifying marks are then called for group discussion and personal interview as well. In order to prepare for GDPI, the students should have up-to-date knowledge on various aspects of Economics, Business and Technology.
Study Material for CAT
Well since the syllabus is so wide one book doesn’t cover up the whole course.
IMS provides its own material and mock test papers are available.
How to Read Faster and Better’ by Norman Lewis
These writers have good books for quantitative aptitude:
• R S Agarwal
• ABHIJIT GUHA
• DINESH KHATTAR
• thorpe edgar
• KRISHNAN B N R
• Family tree problem
Most important tips for crack CAT is that first of all read complete question paper carefully. If you are unable to solve any question then don’t waste time for that question and jump to next question. There is negative marking in CAT so solve the question when you are sure about its answer otherwise you will loose some marks. For better preparation you to need Practice for makes you perfect, Simulating the CAT- Strengthen your test taking skills, Build your fundamentals and get the basics right and Testing and Build competencies.
Written by StudyChaCha
- Age limit for SSLC examHai, my son name is Amogh Date of birth is 10.02.2010 at what age he should be attending SSLC Exams. Regards Pavan firstname.lastname@example.org […]
- Montessori schools in negomboI want to enroll my child in nursery..can u pls say some Montessori schools in negombo.. […]
- NWT college offer distance mode courseshello sir i am rajendra sir please tell me NWT college provides distance degree courses ??? or not?? […]
- Nilamber pitamber University question papersSir Bed Syllabus and Previous year Q papers of Nilamber pitamber University is not available in your site please proved it earliest. […]
- BH Vyas (consultancy And Surveyors ) private LimitedI AM USING NET BANKING FOR MAKING PAYMENT OF TAXATION. ON 07.03.2015 THOUGH WE HAD GENERATED CHHALAN FOR TAX PAYMENT AUTHORISATION WAS NOT COMING ON... […]
- BITSAT Crash course coaching centresWhich coaching center is the best one to undergo BITSAT crash coaching […]
- studenti'm finish secondary school at international school in Saudi and did Qias assessment with 80% i would like to join the Egyptian university […]
- Best load cell manufacturers in IndiaHi friends, I an engineering graduate looking for an entry into a core domain, I recently Inquired about the load cell which is new to me, could... […]
- CCL pharmacist exam study materialssear sir/mam i am preparing for ccl pharmacist exam so kindly provide me the all study materail for that its my request to all the who are preparing... […]
- MPSC Compulsory for UPSCPls tell me, in future i will gave UPSC eaxm but i will not give MPSC ...... so pls tell can it possible to give upsc exam […]
- admin said testing testing
- sanjay sahu said C.g. Bord 12 model pepar 2013
- NEERAJ KUMAR said I am army join rank jco
- nitin chandrakar said tan60*sin30 pls solve this que.
- arjun said Sir,I have done my Bsc.mlt n I want take admission...
- Anonymous said 5410020259
- Sunny sinha said Plzz send me 2013 important question papar ..sub 1...
- vikas said Sir plz send me class 10th c.g. Bord exam 2013 mod...
- SARAVANAN.P said DEAR SIR, I NEED LEET EXAM DATE FOR PANDICHERRY...
- chetan magdum said plz display me final year B.tech. E&Tc academi...
- kalyanjagadeesh said sir we want exam time table of 2012-2013 bach stud...
- Anonymous said Physics Notes
- tripesh yadav said respected sir i want to knw which book is gud 4 ss...
- kawshik dutta said sir,i want to know when will the set 2013 notifica...
- Basava said I have completed B.A. After compliting the diploma...